How does Oracle database close client connections

From: Hameed, Amir <Amir.Hameed_at_xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 02:53:41 +0000

Hi,
I was recently engaged to troubleshoot an issue in a pre-production environment which involves Oracle 11.2.0.4 database running on Solaris server and IIS running on a Windows VM. On the IIS side, the minimum and maximum connection pool settings are set to 100 and 4000 respectively. On the Oracle database side, the processes and sessions parameters are set to 4000 and 6000 respectively. I have no visibility to IIS and I do not have any experience with IIS either. I am relying on my understanding of how connection pooling work in WebLogic Server to triage the problem. The application processes thousands of invoices in multiple batches and each batch can run up to 4000 invoices concurrently. The non-production environment has similar setup (at least this is what I have been told). When the application team runs load in non-production, it completes successfully and we do not see more than 150 connections coming from the VM (V$SESSION.MACHINE) and the INACTIVE session count goes down to 100. However, the same load when run in the pre-production environment, it consumes up to 4000 connections and this is a repeatable process. I have been told that IIS is setup the same way in non-production and pre-production environments. The default value of releasing idle connections frequency in IIS is 30 seconds. However, after processing invoices, even though connections established from the IIS VM have INACTIVE status, connections are not getting released in the pre-production environment and I am trying to understand the mechanism around how Oracle database releases connections.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that Oracle does not automatically close INACTIVE connections on its own and this is not the same situation as DCD. Is it possible that even though IIS is trying to shrink the connection pool but Oracle database is not releasing connections? Both non-production and pre-production have same initialization parameters with the only difference being the SGA size.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Amir