Re: Re Oracle Licensing

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 08:28:46 -0600

On 2018/11/13 21:56, post.ethan_at_gmail.com wrote:

> I recall the guidelines here also. I knew of a customer who kept the oracle home tar gzd (nothing installed). Backups shipped over the wire slowly to DR DC once per week. Archive logs shipped every 20 minutes. All rsync. Worked very well. Was simple and reliable. We would test the system twice a year and DB would only be running for a couple hours. Per the customer's understanding this was all 100% legit and within bounds.

I had argued that since our DR site is only storage until we fail over that the binaries are not -- _CANNOT_ -- be "installed". Oracle respectfully disagreed, saying the binaries are in the DR site, even though the architecture of the DR replicating servers (x86) does not match the architecture of the binaries (POWER) and therefore cannot be "installed".

Instead of bringing legal into it, we exclude replication of the binaries. The Oracle installation is part of our DR failover process, with all of the implied complexities.

My $.02,
Rich