RE: Re Oracle Licensing

From: <post.ethan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 21:56:45 -0600

Hah, just got a follow on Twitter from a company in the licensing consulting space. Coincidence? Perhaps but suspect this channel is being “watched” 😊

I recall the guidelines here also. I knew of a customer who kept the oracle home tar gzd (nothing installed). Backups shipped over the wire slowly to DR DC once per week. Archive logs shipped every 20 minutes. All rsync. Worked very well. Was simple and reliable. We would test the system twice a year and DB would only be running for a couple hours. Per the customer’s understanding this was all 100% legit and within bounds.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> On Behalf Of Stefan Knecht Sent: Tuesday, November 13, 2018 9:11 PM To: oracle_at_1001111.com
Cc: oracle-l-freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Re Oracle Licensing

I'm fairly certain that document has been around way before 2014 in one way or another. Perhaps some other list members still have one of the previous versions. I believe 2014 is just the last time this was updated. But I do recall having dealt with these same guidelines earlier than that.

And according to the guide it depends on how many days per year the standby was opened.

But just to clarify once more - YMMV (a lot) depending on whatever is negotiated between you and the Oracle sales folks.

zztat_oracle | <http://fb.me/zztat> fb.me/zztat | <http://zztat.net/blog/> zztat.net/blog/