Re: 12c upgrade slow

From: Neil Chandler <neil_chandler_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2018 20:39:05 +0000

Can you deinstall Apex before the upgrade?

IIRC, it’s a substantial part of the time (but I have no proofs to back this up. Sorry.)

Regards

Neil.
sent from my phone

On 5 Nov 2018, at 20:06, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com<mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

Thanks for all the tips so far. Yes I am gathering dictionary stats and fixed object stats right before. Here is the output summary. I test the memory setting and processes. And Tim I'll look for an AWR.

Oracle Server   UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:46:24
JServer JAVA Virtual Machine    VALID   12.2.0.1.0      0:39:56
Oracle Workspace Manager        UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:04:03
Oracle Label Security   UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:01:43
Oracle XDK      UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:00:36
Oracle Text     UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:05:11
Oracle XML Database     UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:12:28
Oracle Database Java Packages   UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:00:22
Oracle Multimedia       UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:21:32
Spatial UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:24:01
Oracle Application Express      VALID   18.1.0.00.45    0:00:07
Oracle Database Vault   UPGRADED        12.2.0.1.0      0:02:50
Final Actions

        0:03:54
Post Upgrade

        0:00:50

Total Upgrade Time: 02:46:46

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:36 AM Lange, Kevin G <kevin.lange_at_optum.com<mailto:kevin.lange_at_optum.com>> wrote: I have been upgrading our multiple 10g databases to 12.2 or a while now. Here are the few things that I have come to make sure of on each upgrade:

  1. Gather Dictionary and Fixed Object Stats before hand. Makes a difference
  2. 12 seems to take considerable more memory than 10 did. I have had to raise up SGA and PGA values considerably.
  3. Processes had to be raised . It seemed that the upgrades were slower at lower processes setting
  4. Larger rollbacks with more groups. I used to have 4 groups with relatively small files in them but when I changed that to 10 groups with larger files the upgrades sped up

Some of these suggestions may not be thought of as being something that would cause a faster upgrade, but it did it on our setup so I leave it to you to consider or not.

Kevin

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.Stats org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org>] On Behalf Of Jeff Chirco Sent: Monday, November 05, 2018 10:59 AM To: oracle-l-freelistI
Subject: 12c upgrade slow

I am working on upgrading a database from 11.2.0.4 to 12.2.0.1. Single instance non CDB. The upgrade is taking 2 hours and 50 minutes. I am running the command line version of the upgrade and using parallel. Any tips to make this go faster? I already have APEX 18.1 installed however I am noticing it is becoming invalid during the upgrade and I have to reinstall it afterwards.

Thanks

This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.