Re: Storage choice for Oracle database on VMware

From: Leng <lkaing_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 08:33:05 +1100

Asm is great when you plan correctly. If you don’t it’s very painful. Eg. If you have different sized disks asm will be forever rebalancing, and failing as there is not enough space on the odd disk. So you need to vacate the diskgroup to rebuild it. (Yes, you know... not my fault, the previous consultant did it...) If there’s an asm bug you may have to take an outage on the Asm to apply the patch.

Normal disk operations like dd to asm is almost impossible. Trying to find that corrupted data block on the asm disk takes great asm expertise from a great oracle support engineer.

Those were some up of my worst asm nightmares. It was only 2 years ago. I have since moved on...

Cheers,
Leng