Re: Flashback guaranteed restore point with ADG for DB upgrade fallback

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 11:16:08 -0500

On 2018/10/10 15:38, Rich J wrote:

> I don't want to spend the amount of time it would take to properly test the effects of enabling flashback on the databases, which appears to be necessary to flashback to an SCN on the standby. Creating a guaranteed restore point on the standby seems to be the way to go here, as Oracle allowed it, even if I...erm, "someone"...forgot the proper keyword.
>
> More testing tomorrow -- thanks all for the replies! I'm testing this now, and have gotten further than I did before, but am getting ORA-19909 starting MRP on the standby. Looking at V$INSTANCE, the instance_role is "PRIMARY_INSTANCE". It appears someone forgot to use the "STANDBY" keyword when doing the flashback. Doh. At least that sounds like it could be the cause.

Yep, apparently that "STANDBY" keyword in the FLASHBACK command is important to use when flashing back (flashbacking?) a standby database, despite my misdiagnosis (I should have referenced V$DATABASE and not V$INSTANCE to determine primary/standby role). It feels like I should investigate how to recover from incorrectly issuing the FLASHBACK in a standby...

And yes, a GRP is required for flashback when flashback database is not enabled:
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/backup.112/e10642/flashdb.htm#BRADV530

Just some delicate concepts that I needed to get straight in my head in order to provide that upgrade fallback plan that I will now not need to use...

Thanks all for the help!

Rich