RE: 'Y' is not 'Y ' .... sometimes

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 11:56:09 +0000 (UTC)

>>issue where our reporting tool is padding the literal

What’s your reporting tool?

From: Jack van Zanen <jack_at_vanzanen.com> Sent: Tuesday, October 9, 2018 12:56 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: 'Y' is not 'Y ' .... sometimes

Hi All

we are upgrading from 11.2.0.4 to 12.2.0.1 and have come across the issue where our reporting tool is padding the literal in the where clause with 2 trailing blanks.

In 11.2.0.4 this was not an issue and all was fine. now when we run the report in 12.2 the report shows random inconsistent data.

Oracle has provided the "solution" by saying 'Y' is not 'Y  ' so 11.2.0.4 was wrong and we are doing it different now.

If Oracle is saying 11.2.0.4 is wrong for matching them (I agree) and they no longer treat them this way I would expect an empty report (right?) and it should be fairly straightforward to find affected reports.

But we are getting random data. Anyone seen something similar, have a bug number???

In cooperation with Oracle I have been running the query with different instance parameters but sofar only Optimizer_features_Enable=11.2.0.4 returns the correct results.  Oracle has updated the ticket with solution provided (removed the trailing blanks) but it does not sit well with me that the results are random instead of zero rows.

Oracle 12.2 Linux Exadata

Jack van Zanen

This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please contact the sender and delete all copies. Thank you for your cooperation