Re: Stack trace interpretation

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2018 16:30:20 -0700

I've just spent the day playing with stack traces.

Stefan, your paper and presentation are outstanding!

Of particular interest was the wait_even["event name"] syntax that allows dumping stack traces in a 10046 trace file.

Somehow I had missed learning about that, very cool.

Should anyone be interested in this topic, here is my reading list for the day.

Note: of course there is Perl :)

https://manybutfinite.com/post/journey-to-the-stack/ Journey to the Stack, Part I

https://manybutfinite.com/post/anatomy-of-a-program-in-memory/ Anatomy of a Program in Memory

https://manybutfinite.com/post/how-the-kernel-manages-your-memory/ How The Kernel Manages Your Memory

If you are interested in dumping the values from little endian words http://perldoc.perl.org/perlpacktut.html Perl pack tutor

Leading up to:

Paper:
http://www.soocs.de/public/talk/151118_DOAG2015_Identifying_Performance_Issues_Beyond_The_Oracle_Wait_Interface_PDF.pdf Identifying performance issues beyond the Oracle wait interface

Presentation:
http://www.soocs.de/public/talk/160616_DOAG_Regio_NUE_Identifying_Performance_Issues_Beyond_The_Oracle_Wait_Interface_PPT.pdf Troubleshooting Oracle performance issues beyond the Oracle wait interface

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Github: https://github.com/jkstill