RE: Oracle EBS in the cloud

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 18:57:12 -0400

AND (not but), just in case you were contemplating EBS on the Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, there is too much to post, but here is a handle on their blog:

https://blogs.oracle.com/ebsandoraclecloud/ebs-on-oci-classic-updates-for-september-2018

Likely Oracle will aggressively support early adopters of EBS on Oracle’s Cloud. I don’t work for Oracle, but that has been the pattern since 1984 that I know of and I *believe* they are still looking for good reference cases. Oracle *may* use words differently from Tim’s accurate industry standard acronyms. And Oracle hijacked OCI (which still stands for Oracle Call Interface to me) to be something Oracle Cloudy. Yeah Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, I think. Anyway, when you see “OCI” or “oci” unless you are programming in C it’s Oracle’s marketing term that you can tell is *not* industry standard by the fact it has Oracle in the name.

IF you decide to go that way, I believe Mike Brown still lurks here and he or Ahmed Alomari can probably hook you up with successful pioneers.

I cannot do a total cost of ownership comparison for you on this. Be careful about network redundancy if you move anything to the cloud upon which real time machines need EBS communications to operate such as build to order manufacturing lines. It can be done pretty well, I’m told. If the transit authority uses EBS to print real time tickets, for example…

Good luck!

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark J. Bobak Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2018 5:45 PM To: Tim Gorman
Cc: jbeckstrom_at_gcrta.org; ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Oracle EBS in the cloud

Tim is, of course, right on the money.

But, this reminded me of the "Pizze as a Service' explanatory model.

(Some of you may have seen this before.)

I thought it was simultaneously amusing and accurate... :-)

Here it is:

https://www.episerver.com/learn/resources/blog/fred-bals/pizza-as-a-service/

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 4:04 PM Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Jeff,

I'm not sure if you are using the terms appropriately in your original question.

By way of background, cloud services generally consist of IaaS, PaaS, or SaaS...

  • IaaS
  • Infrastructure as a Service
  • hosted servers in the cloud accessible just like any server on-premise, usually configured and managed by on-premise personnel
  • good example: Amazon EC2
  • PaaS
  • Platform as a Service
  • managed tools hosted in the cloud and accessed through a portal
  • good example: Amazon RDS
  • SaaS
  • Software as a Service
  • managed applications hosted in the cloud and accessed through a portal
  • good example: Salesforce

Naturally, behind the scenes PaaS is generally comprised of IaaS, and behind the scenes SaaS is generally comprised of PaaS and IaaS except the SaaS vendor is directly accessing and managing them. One way or another, you "need" IaaS.

What is really important is how we define the verb-with-many-meanings in your original question: "moved"...

  • If "moved" means you rehosted your on-premise EBS to cloud-based servers, managed by your on-premise staff, then you'd be using IaaS only
  • In this scenario, the move works very much as you've probably done it so many times in the past, except this time you didn't have to set up new servers and storage in your data center first
  • If "moved" means that you migrated your on-premise EBS into a cloud-hosted EBS environment, configuring setup through their portals, uploading legacy data through their portals, then you'd be using SaaS directly, while somewhere under that SaaS service are possibly PaaS and definitely IaaS
  • In this scenario, it would be like you're going to use EBS that is already installed and running somewhere else managed by someone else, and you just have to configure/setup and get your old data transferred into it

Hope this helps!

Thanks!

-Tim

On 9/25/18 13:23, Jeffrey Beckstrom wrote:

Back in 2017, I heard that if you moved EBS to the cloud that you needed IAAS. Is this still true?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Lead Database Administrator

Information Technology Department

Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113