Re: Create 12c or 18c database in traditional architecture

From: John Mchugh <john.mchugh_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 22:40:13 -0700

> On Aug 30, 2018, at 9:36 PM, Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Fri, Aug 31, 2018 at 10:59 AM, Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com <mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com>> wrote:
> And having only to patch the one database is really convenient but then again its just the 4 on this server.
>
> ... or it might make it more difficult - getting downtime for 4 different applications at the same time isn't the same business impact as doing the 4 individually at 4 different times - which you can't do if they're all stuck in the same container.

Fair point. We try to mitigate this scenario through online relocation operations but they too may come with some caveats. That said, with the experience in our own database cloud services, we are investing considerable engineering effort to optimize these operation to be much faster at scale.

thx
jpm