Re: Create 12c or 18c database in traditional architecture

From: John Mchugh <john.mchugh_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 11:33:47 -0700

Hi Jeff, all,

some brief comments inline with full disclosure and bias, I work for Oracle and in the MT dev. org. as product management.

This was supported as of day 1. See this <https://www.netapp.com/us/media/tr-4266.pdf> jointly published whitepaper.

> 2. I wanted to go to 12c quicker than taking the time to learn multitenancy

Fair enough.

> 3. Plus we are migrating from Windows to Linux and 11.2.0.4 to 12.2.01 at the same time so wanted to limit the amount of things changing and learning at once.

Completely understandable.

> 4. We have 4 databases running on this one server and I just though it was silly to have 4 CDBs with 1 PDB each. Maybe this isn't, I don't know.

Did you do any quantitative analysis on compute cost and conservation, comparing the 2 deployment models - 4 stacked v. 4 PDBs in 1 CDB? It would have been very likely that you could run these same 4 DB envs. on smaller compute using MT. The question then becomes is it cost effective. Capex aside, you would also want to evaluate whether there are benefits to be gained from managing the container as a single entity or continue to manage as 4 distinct DB envs., and to evaluate whether you might gain from online DB agility such as online compute resize or online DB relocation as examples. Nearly all of our current MT customers have moved beyond the simple consolidation use case to explore DBaaS offerings and what MT might bring to those envs.

There are caveats to all software....you might hit bugs or functional limitations, but we are committed to identify, prioritize and fix them.

> I really feel that Multitenancy should be included at no cost. If they want to de-support traditional install and force us this route it should be included. Like someone said MSSQL already has this. Or drop the price. $17,500 per cpu is crazy. If they want use to use it and promote it, it needs to be included or cheap enough that it is a no-brainier.

Way...way above my pay grade...

apologies if this sounds like I am proselytizing...

thx
jpm