Re: NetBackup Oracle on Hyper-V

From: Charlotte Hammond <"Charlotte>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2018 18:45:00 +0000 (UTC)

Hi All,
Agreed, snapshots are not backups - but in this context they are not intended as such - simply as a consistency mechanism by which a backup can be made. From further reading about Hyper-V on Windows 2012R2, this renames the snapshots as checkpoints and furthermore these checkpoints provide support for Linux VMs without the need for VSS support on the O/S or applications.  So - I think(!) - this makes the VM backup crash-consistent; including the Oracle database running on it.   So not quite as complete a solution as backing up a Windows VM, where you can have application consistency, but possibly good enough for our purposes provided we're happy to endure crash recovery and loss of non committed data (which we are). Obviously, as pointed out, this requires thorough testing.   But I'm still really looking for confirmation on the concepts - I can see scenarios where it might work by fluke during on a test - but not in reality if it's not meant to work that way. Thanks!Charlotte

    On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 10:17 AM, Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de> wrote:

 Hello Charlotte,
snapshots are NO backup! You don't have any physical or logical corruption checks by doing snapshots on storage or VM level and so you are screwed if you discover some of these corruptions later on. Snapshots are fine in case of upgrade scenarios or so if you just want to revert very quickly to a specific point in time but are not a proper solution for continuous backup.

In addition you may experience VM freezing problems while doing snapshot backups if your database load increases, e.g. like this one I have troubleshot with Veeam and VMware (https://www.veeam.com/kb1681) at a client site.

NetBackup (or BackupExec) also got a MML for RMAN.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK