Re: dba mentor

From: <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 17:02:12 +0100

Hi Jeff

Like many of the other respondents, I never had a mentor (and the closest I had was, er, not very good). I have however seen mentoring take place and it's definitely a highly useful approach for a short while (say 9-18 months). Probably the key skills a mentor can help with are the soft ones.

  • dealing with customers
  • knowing when and how to say no (and yes)
  • knowing how other departments/silos work and who the key contacts are
  • knowing how to judge the reliability of a source (no-one seems to teach that these days)
  • a healthy scepticism that new software releases work as intended
  • a healthy scepticism in one's own ability. (the easiest person to fool is yourself)

Technical skills *can* be taught and/or picked up from good online resources. Like the others here online communities (this list, Usenet, Oracle forums, serverfault, twitter) have proven invaluable to me for this purpose. The quality of the answers you get back definitely increases as you contribute yourself - which can be a catch-22. If you have a good local usergroup (i.e not one that's all Oracle speakers or vendors) or meetup then those are pretty valuable as well.

It's also very valuable to have a lab/laptop environment of your own to break, I mean experiment in.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA