RE: dba mentor

From: Reen, Elizabeth <"Reen,>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2018 15:43:57 +0000

                I was an SA.  After the third DBA jumped ship, my boss asked me if I would like to become a DBA.  I said yes and he sent me off for training.  They hired a consultant for three months after that I was on my own.  My mentors were groups like this.  Granted I had plenty of experience in troubleshooting when I started.  I look at Oracle as another operating system.  I took this job so I could begin to understand Oracle from the application view.  The group I lead are application DBAs.  We take care of the data not the container.  I find this to be more challenging.  Mine is the only such group in the company, so again I had to figure it out myself.

                I do mentor my DBAs.  I’m not sure they are better for it.  They don’t develop troubleshooting skills as fast as I did.  They know they can always come to me for the answer.  I’m not sure how to remove the crutch.

Liz

Elizabeth Reen
CPB Database Group Manager
Service Now Group: CPB-ORACLE-DB-SUPPORT

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Chirco Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 3:51 PM
To: oracle-l-freelist
Subject: dba mentor

Did any of you have a mentor to help you along your DBA career path? Someone to coach you on what is right/wrong, offer advice for various projects, etc… I was the first DBA for my company and never had someone to go to for advice and such. I learned completely on the job besides going to some classes at the beginning and a couple conferences recently. And then some consultants over the years. I’ve always reported to a Programming manager, and they understand some of the job but not everything that needs to be done. Although I have been a DBA for over 10 years I feel there is still a ton for me to learn and be better at. I was alone for many years and did a lot of database development in addition to DBA duties. Kind of a jack of all trades expert at none. I am a lead now, we have one other DBA and maybe a third in the near future, but I know I can be a better leader and hope to advance that further. Did any of you have some kind of mentor during your career? For most of you it probably was someone inside the company but what about outside? How did you find this person and was it helpful? What did they do for you? Another other details or advice?

Thanks,