Re: dba mentor

From: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman <dbakevlar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 13:12:31 -0700

I believe the amount of mentors I was offered in my career and the difference it made is the reason I reach out so often to those around me in the communities to mentor now. I started out as a jr. DBA with no experience and after the first 9 months was quite frustrated with the lacking leadership and training. As a consultant was having similar difficulties, Tim Gorman was brought in to try to smooth things over. After observing him the first day, I thought- "This is how a DBA should act and INTERACT." I was incredibly impressed and this verified the way I was approaching users and other technologists was inline with those who were successful in the database industry. Tim mentioned to my manager that I was naturally far beyond the other DBAs in learning RMAN and that it was a shame I was considering leaving for project management. My manager took the hint and brought me back into the DBA group, which was great for me and years later, great for Tim, as almost a decade later, we were both divorced and he moved from mentor to partner in life.

Alex Gorbachev, Cary Millsap, Mary Melgaard, Karen Morton, Gwen Shapira and so many others have made a difference in my career. I think the biggest myth about mentoring is that its a formal relationship with some type of agreement. Mentors are those that not only help you find your path, and especially for women in tech, sponsor them in opportunities to grow in the industry. Locating mentors requires reaching out into the community- go to local conferences, networking, become part of forums just like Oracle-l and connect on various platforms. Ask and ye shall receive.

[image: Kellyn Pot'Vin on about.me]

*Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman*
DBAKevlar Blog <http://dbakevlar.com>
President Denver SQL Server User Group <http://denversql.org/> about.me/dbakevlar