Re: oracle ASM and SRDF/Recoverpoint

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2018 13:48:34 -0500

We have had very good experience with that combination. My company, House of Brick Technologies, has done quite a bit with that and had very good experiences. That being said, there are some caveats. You absolutely must have a competent network and storage team that understands what is going on, and can identify immediately where there are failures. If you are not 100% confident, you will want to use something like data guard for your oracle databases, so that you have the ability to check the status and open it read only yourself. I did once see a situation where the network, security, and storage teams were not communicating properly, and the security team kept on blocking the required ports on the DR site, and the network and storage teams did not notice. That was kind of a disaster. But I do emphasize, when the network and storage teams are competent, srdf is just fine.

--
Andrew W. Kerber