Re: OT: "below steps"

From: <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 19:22:50 +0100

Patrice,

I'm much less bothered by this sort of thing in a technical note which remains clear and coherent than I am by examples such as https://blogs.oracle.com/dataintegration/walkthrough%3a-oracle-autonomous-data-integration-platform-cloud-provisioning which just looks shoddy. For a native English speaker, the "rules" are there primarily to help frame clear communication rather than in order to enforce compliance. "follow the below steps" and "follow the steps below" will both be easily understood. The marketing blurb I offer as a counterexample takes real effort to parse. As Winston Churchill once said in a different context, this is the sort of thing up with which I will not put. :)

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA