RE: Question - standby database from Exadata to non-exadata ?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 09:07:41 -0400

It pretty much works as you would expect, details in this thread from “community”

https://community.oracle.com/thread/3982466

So the key point is that this makes your standby not an instant business continuation device for the compressed partitions and likewise active dataguard cannot read compressed partitions on non-HCC devices. But if you need to do a hard switchover or failover you can uncompress the partition, and you could also clone the whole thing to a replacement Exadata (perhaps in the cloud for quick provisioning.)

So no, not a bad idea. Some folks already do this. Some folks think it is “too complicated.” I think that depends on whether or not you can get pretty routine process operations in place or your staff is limited to pointy clicky level of reliance.

Good luck. From what you’ve written it seems to me you can definitely handle it, but that is NOT the same as your operational staff being either willing or able to handle it.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Taylor Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2018 8:37 AM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Question - standby database from Exadata to non-exadata ?

We're gearing up for a massive migration to an Exadata machine and in the process we're going to be freeing up a lot of our previous hardware and storage. The current storage is Pure m70.

What we 'thought' we were going to do was something like this (high level):

  1. Migrate DB to Exadata
  2. Rebuild standby dbs on non-exadata using the now freed up Pure storage
  3. Clone dev/test/staging environments from Standby DB on Pure

HOWEVER, I'm not sure that's doable as Exadata uses TDE and Advanced Compression. It doesn't appear that Pure likes using AC at the DB layer and instead prefers managing the compression and deduplication internally.

Question(s):

  1. Has anyone here built a standby on different hardware from Exadata when primary is on Exadata?
  2. If so, what issues (gotchas) did you run into that we may need to consider?
  3. Does this sound like a 'bad idea' already? My gut is telling me this may be a bad idea.

Chris