Re: If Your Database Fails, It must be Friday!

From: David Barbour <david.barbour1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 14:14:45 -0500

Thanks Frank. The password file was on ASM which, when the disks weren't being mounted, was somewhat problematic. But your suggestion and input from some Metalink docs and Googling around lead me to create a init+ASM.ora file, plus an orapw+ASM.ora file and try to start ASM. It failed, but that was the result of the original third-party install that had multiple ORACLE_HOMEs, two entries in /etc/group for ASMDBA, and several other issues that were able to be resolved at each failure until finally the instance started. I was able to identify the disks and related diskgroups using a script posted by Helmut Hutzler at https://www.hhutzler.de/blog/troubleshooting-asm-disk-related-issues-using-kfed-and-kfod/ and mounted them using asmcd.

The database is caught up having found and applied all the redo. Forewarned, I shall attempt the upgrade yet again.

David