Re: AWS EC2 OEM support

From: Jeremiah Cetlin Wilton <jcwilton93_at_earlham.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2018 13:14:25 -0400 (EDT)

I don't understand why on-prem EM13c would regard Oracle databases running on EC2 as any different than any other kind of Oracle database, as long as the networking is set up correctly.

I rarely encounter customers operating anything outside of VPC. But again that should make no difference as long as the correct networking is configured.

Perhaps you could post the EM13c error or log messages when you try to do the remote EM agent installation.

The EM plugin for AWS just lets EM get CloudWatch (generic system metrics) for stuff running in AWS. It's meant to augment, not replace, the use of the EM agent on AWS-based Oracle systems.

Thanks,

Jeremiah

Folks,

(I've been given the task of setting up monitoring for a number of Oracle databases on AWS EC2 and unfortunately given little to no guidance, so I apologize upfront if my question seems rather basic.)

Has anyone set up management agents on AWS EC2 environments to monitor from an OEM outside of AWS? We did something similar in the past for RDS environments but I was hoping we wouldn't have to rely on the OEM AWS plugin, which only provides a rather limited subset of functionality of OEM for the envs.

Since we have SSH key pairs set up to reach the AWS servers, my assumption was I could perform agent installations from OEM (which resides outside of AWS), using pre-defined Named Credentials that use SSH key pairs. Unfortunately it seems the connection can't be made that way through OEM, although I did prove I COULD connect at the OS level using the same method.

I did find a post by Pete Sharman from 5/2016 saying that under OEM 13c we'd need to have an Amazon VPC configured and only then could a typical, OEM to agent monitoring configuration and that the only other option is to use the AWS plugin. But, that's just over 1yr old and I wasn't sure if anything has changed since then.

Thx.

--
Dave