Re: Forms 6i vs. rdbms 12.2

From: John Kelly <jckelly_at_aidhm.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 01:43:44 -0400

Juan,

I've read the docid in MOS, which makes sense, Oracle is trying to finally draw a line in the sand on all of the really old versions. The only trick left that might work is the one I eluded to in my previous reply. Specifically, you could try installing the Oracle 11.2 binaries
into a separate Oracle home on the same server as the 12.2 instance. Then create a new 11.2 listener (with a new name and separate port#). Finally, in the new listener definition set the ORACLE_HOME to the Oracle 12.2 home directory.  I did a quick mock up in my homelab and this works, the 11.2 listener does successfully connect to the 12.2 database. I did not however, have on hand any old application code which might require Oracle 9 or 10, to test the connection to 12.2 thru the 11.2 listener. Make sure you also set the password for the oracle 12.2 account to uppercase. I still think method will work, but it is clear its the end of the line for really old applications and connections.

cheers,