Aw: I can't unwrap an old 9i wrapped function

From: Michael D O'Shea/Woodward Informatics Ltd <woodwardinformatics_at_strychnine.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 18:47:56 +0100

This thread and the books and blogs of many respected contributors to this forum and elsewhere often make me ask what is legal and what is (depending on your jurisdiction) illegal software reverse engineering.

The OTN Oracle DB Licence a few moments ago:

[You may not] cause or permit reverse engineering (unless required by law for interoperability), disassembly or decompilation of the Programs; and

IANAL but there is clearly a fine line between outright hacking & software (encoding algorithm or technology) reverse-engineering and normal Oracle technology usage, irrespective of whether the underlying code is yours, Oracle’s, or yours and wrapped inside the DB using Oracle IP, know-how, and algorithms.

Pete’s business indemnity insurance premium must be very high :-)

Mike

http://www.strychnine.co.uk <http://www.strychnine.co.uk/>