RE: Configuration management / Puppet for Oracle DBA'ing

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2018 13:49:05 +0000

We’re abandoning Puppet for our database installs and patching and are currently investigating Ansible. We generally had about a 25% failure rate with our database installs running the exact same process each time.

It might be that the people in charge of Puppet here just weren’t good enough at it but we ended up doing a lot of manual installs after Puppet failures. It seems to work well for most non-database related tasks.

Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA
201.369.8355

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Chris Stephens Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 8:44 AM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Configuration management / Puppet for Oracle DBA'ing

The system administration folks here are big fans of Puppet. After deciding to take it seriously and reading a bit about it (yes, I'm behind the times), the advantages are clear and Puppet or some other configuration management software should probably be in the mix for any well managed database environment. Ansible seems to be picking up steam in Oracle-land. At least that's true for my twitter feed and rss subscriptions. Is anyone else out there using Puppet to perform DBA related tasks? If so, do you have any pointers on where to start? Is there any reason to avoid Puppet and choose another technology? There is a free module on Puppet Forge at https://forge.puppet.com/biemond/oradb<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__forge.puppet.com_biemond_oradb&d=DwMFaQ&c=nulvIAQnC0yOOjC0e0NVa8TOcyq9jNhjZ156R-JJU10&r=aiKV3Uv2Wo7GqYQcis9TSvB1MZslPOnintrOY1rjG58&m=v5X_cfi1DxSHdWKUTREB24ny4NEojcIiGAbTZDYlMQc&s=cMPGqyKZ9W0TiB4mNEpAyCrA9EnTidYj4M8kUrQSfqU&e=>. Does anyone have any experience with that?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Chris