Re: Quick Question as I can't find the answer (Advanced Compression)

From: Andy Klock <andy_at_oracledepot.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 09:39:38 -0400

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 9:48 AM, Chris Taylor < christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> If we (DBAs) want to specify compression on a Partition/Subpartition,
> which options are specific to Advanced Compression and which are not?

Outside of licensing, but worthy of note: BASIC is awesome until you want to do any DML. Then you're most likely destined for non compressed row migrations. The default PCTFREE is 0 and according to this post (which I've never validated) states that you need to ramp it up to 90 to avoid chained rows. So, then what is the point?

https://blogs.oracle.com/dbstorage/updates-in-row-compressed-tables

Andy K