Re: Table with CLOB allocating lot of space

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 12:24:38 -0400

You should always use SECUREFILES. Also, use large uniform extents, don't do auto-allocate. LOB segments are actually files. With LOB segments, Oracle sort of creates a file system within a tablespace, with each LOB column being a file. What you have is an analogy to a file system, with a gazillion files. Theoretically, you could even use BFILE data type, but unfortunately most file systems are not programmed so that directories can hold hundreds of thousands of file names. And if you try that, you fill find out that the files consume quite large chunks of space. I've had the best experience with 32M uniform extents. My LOB files were images. With CLOB columns you can probably get away with smaller extents, like 8M.
Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant