RE: Poor report performance with sqlnet connection only, not jdbc

From: <Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 20:56:46 +0000

Arraysize did it!

Thanks,

Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA

From: TJ Kiernan [mailto:tkiernan_at_castiarx.com] Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 11:37 AM
To: Miller, Jay; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Cc: TJ Kiernan
Subject: RE: Poor report performance with sqlnet connection only, not jdbc

Arraysize on the client? Did the old client have a login.sql file setting this sort of thing?

HTH,
T. J.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jay.Miller_at_tdameritrade.com Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 10:28 AM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Here's an oddity. One of my app owners recently moved to a new reporting server. The old one had the 11g client on linux, the new one has the 12c client on windows.

He has a number of reports automated to run through sqlplus and spool to a file. After the move a report that previously took only minutes to run took 8 hours. On the database side it shows all the extra time spent on sqlnet message to/from client.

My first thought was that it was caused by network latency from the new location. traceroute/tracert did show a few more hops and a few more ms. However, when he tested running the same query through jdbc rather than sqlnet and spooling the output to the same location the report returned in minutes again.

My next thought was to increase the sdu setting to the maximum on the client and database sqlnet.ora but that made no difference.

Before we bite the bullet and rewrite the reporting automation to use jdbc does anyone have suggestions for anything else to try?

Database version is 11.2.0.3

Thanks!
Jay Miller
Sr. Oracle DBA

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This message may contain confidential information, including Protected Health Information as defined under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996, intended only for the use of the individual or entity identified above. If the receiver of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to his/her e-mail address noted above and delete the original message, including any attachments. Thank you.