Re: troubleshooting slow I/O performance.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2018 12:22:00 -0400

Hi Chris!

It's called "tough love", not "criticism". I offered you a solution, too: get faster disks. There is no need to waste time on systemtap or blktrace. The end result will be that you will need faster disks. Fortunately, it's very easy to replace disks with ASM. The real question is what do you expect from the disk subsystem? Do you have a set of queries that you can test on various disk configurations? Unfortunately, that type of the problem requires some money to be spent. On the other hand, as the old adage goes, disks are cheap, so a nice little all flash SAN shouldn't be a problem. Flash disks cost around $0.3 per GB. Samsung 2TB EVO disk costs $569:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E2T0B-AM/dp/B0786QNSBD/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525882659&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=2TB+SSD&psc=1

Micron 2TB SSD costs $309:

https://www.amazon.com/Micron-MTFDDAK2T0TBN-1AR1ZABYY-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B01LB05TOO/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1525882724&sr=1-4&keywords=2TB+SSD

Samsung is, as expected, the most expensive brand. All of them are much faster than any spinning drive.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant