Re: troubleshooting slow I/O performance.

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2018 12:55:34 -0400

With all due respect, expensive clusters like that are usually engineered for performance when the hardware is chosen. You should have chosen 32Gbit FC adapters and either an all flash array like Xtrem_IO or Pure or a disk array with lots of cache. You should have calibrated your IO system for the needed number of IOPS. There are lots of cheap tools to do that, bonnie++ and iozone3 among the most popular ones. SLOB is a great tool, but for SLOB you need to have a database already installed. Once SLOB discovers that your IO is slow, there is very little you can do in terms of the underlying hardware.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant