RE: What does SQLDeveloper change?

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 18:30:18 -0700 (PDT)

We don’t change anything, it’s just a zip file that you put down and run the EXE – which will look for Java in JAVA_HOME o use the embedded JRE in the sqldev directory.

We don’t make any changes to the registry or the OS PATH.

SSMA doesn’t touch Java…that I know of.

Anything I can do to help convince you to leave your Oracle data in Oracle?

From: Dave Herring <gdherri_at_gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2018 7:53 PM
To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: What does SQLDeveloper change?

I've got some sort of conflict between SQL Server SSMA conversion tool and SQL Developer and I can't figure out where it is.

I'm in the process of generating assessment reports for the conversion of around 130 databases and on a positive piece of this I've learned enough powershell to script this.  Each assessment is taking anywhere from 1/2 hr to 2 hrs so I figured I'd grab the latest version of SQL Developer (18.2).  After getting SQL Developer to work I noticed that every SSMA execution failed, giving the error: "NESTED System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.".  The problem is I can't figure out what the SQL Developer setup changed as all I did was unzip the download under "C:\Oracle" and then start the executable to validate it was working.

I removed "C:\Oracle\sqldeveloper", along with %AppData\Roaming\sqldeveloper directories but the problem persists.  My guess is there's some sort of java-related change that happened or 32-bit vs. 64-bit dll change but I can't figure it out. Anyone know all changes that SQLDeveloper makes?

--

Dave

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Fri Apr 20 2018 - 03:30:18 CEST