RE: IO Freeze ON RHEL 6.6 and hence high log file sync

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 18:11:29 -0400

LOL., JL. Probably an elevator algorithm on failures. It was probably telling someone they'd better copy the contents somewhere real soon now and retire the device.

Last time I saw wasn't RHEL but actual UNIX and the root cause was no flap on the read_only button that was far too easy to bump.

I don't even know if newer disk farms have a read_only button.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Purav Chovatia <puravc_at_gmail.com> Sent: 18 April 2018 18:25
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: IO Freeze ON RHEL 6.6 and hence high log file sync

We are on RHEL 6.6 running a 2-node Oracle 12c RAC.

All of a sudden, for 2-3 minutes, DATADG (asm diskgroup containing all data files) freezes for 2-3minutes with iostat showing 100% utilisation, very high svctm and very high write_await. But the r/s, w/s rsec/s and wsec/s is 0. Meaning no IO but still disk fully busy. So it's like a freeze.

Has anybody experienced this and can somebody help as to what could be the reason?

Transparent huge pages were not disabled and general huge pages were not configured. Now both done.

Many thanks

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Apr 19 2018 - 00:11:29 CEST

Original text of this message