Re: Anyone know any WP which explains about FTS vs Index Scan?

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2018 17:19:16 +0200

My question would be: why an index range scan MUST be used? What is the reason for this person to deem it mandatory?

This would also discard unique index access, which is a different access path than an index range scan.

I question the knowledge of the person if he/she can not see the point of a full table scan or any other different access path. Even if the documentation would state that an index must be used, and does not provide a valid reason for why it shouldn’t be used, I would discard the advise in the documentation. There are lots of examples where the official documentation is incorrect, and even experts might be wrong; for something to be written in a book doesn’t make it the truth.

Frits Hoogland

http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com <http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/> frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com <mailto:frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com> Mobile: +31 6 14180860