RE: Anybody know what happened to Databee?

From: Reen, Elizabeth <"Reen,>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 20:45:21 +0000

      Interesting. I would love to have such a tool to create my development databases. I don't think you really need 10 terabytes to develop. I always wonder how they check their answers. One does not need decades of data to test reports and front ends. Batch jobs also don't need that sort of volume. I agree that performance testing needs that sort of volume, but I only need one copy for that. We have to redact our testing servers. I would much rather redact a smaller set of data. It takes hours to copy the data and months to redact it.

     There are monetary constraints on storage, it is not free. It requires floor space and air conditioning, which are not limitedless.

Liz

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tim Gorman Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 7:32 PM
To: MAdams_at_equian.com; 'oracle-l_at_freelists.org' Subject: Re: Anybody know what happened to Databee?

Despite the engineering that went into them, it is likely that data subsetting tools have outlived their usefulness.

When data subsetting was useful, more than 10 years ago, storage constraints on non-production databases offered a huge use-case. There was a need to create smaller databases for development (DEV), systems integration testing (SIT), or users acceptance testing (UAT), because IT could not afford the storage or time to create numerous full-size copies of the production database.

With data virtualization from Oracle, Red Gate, Rubrik, Actifio, and Delphix available for several years now, and more offerings from other vendors on the way, these storage constraints need not exist any longer.

The simple truth is that data subsetting removes realism and realistic data for test cases, resulting in inadequate testing conditions, and the subsequent release of buggy software. Software should be tested under realistic conditions if possible, most importantly with full volumes of realistic data for test cases.

Depending on your use-case, perhaps consider investigating data virtualization instead of data subsetting?

Disclosure: I work for Delphix.

On 4/10/18 12:28, Matt Adams wrote:
DataBee was a data subsetting tool for Oracle or SqlServer that would extract referentially intact subsets and load them into other databases.

It was created by Net2000 Ltd, the same people who created one of my favorite free tools, DDL Wizard.

Apparently, Net2000 was purchased by Redgate last September, and a phone call with a Redgate sales creature has informed me that DataBee is not being sold or supported anymore. Anybody know why Redgate shelved it?

Does anyone know if another equally good subsetting tool is still available anywhere? I know oracle has a Data Masking and Subsetting pack for OEM, but it's list price is about $11,000 per cpu. DataBee was $16K (for one seat, which is all we need) with annual maintenance of about $3k, much more reasonable.

  • This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, or distributing of the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy any copies of this document. ****