RE: Tape backup

From: Matt Adams <MAdams_at_equian.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2018 12:52:35 +0000

It sounds like you want the KEEP FOREVER clause. Be careful though. A 6 month old hot backup is useless unless you also have enough archived redo logs to bring the database up to a consistent point in time.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Ram Raman Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 8:51 PM
To: ORACLE-L
Subject: Tape backup

List,

We are testing setting up of db backups to tape using netbackup on Linux. We want to set up a regular rolling 4 day backup schedule where the backups would automatically qualify for deletions after 4 days. We also want the ability to retain certain backups from past (within the past 3 days) or certain future backups to be retained indefinitely, if needed. The latter type backups will be deleted via rman when not needed. Indefinitely in practice can be 6 to 7 months.

We want to be able control this from rman than netbackup policy. Is the only way to achieve it is a setting of forever in veritas policy? With this we would delete the redundant backups using rman, while retaining the 'special' backups. Different ideas?

Ram.

--

  • This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that disclosing, copying, or distributing of the contents is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy any copies of this document. ****

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Apr 11 2018 - 14:52:35 CEST

Original text of this message