Re: Performance comparison of Oracle Vs Aurora MySQL

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2018 19:52:34 -0400

Orlando, the huge pages are used for two reasons:

  • They are not swappable and cannot be stolen so they mostly behave like real memory, not like virtual memory.
  • Page tables are much smaller if a page is 2M instead of 4K. Page tables are 512 times smaller. Page tables are a virtual memory system overhead that doesn't anything useful for your end users and that you must allocate memory for. The less the better.

I use huge pages even with 8GB virtual machines and have no problems.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant