Oddity with upgrades on Windows

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 15:18:48 -0400

The scenario is like this: the client is using 64 bit Windows 2012R2, with several 11G databases running from the same 11.2.0.4 home. For testing purposes, the client wants to upgrade just one of the databases to Oracle 12.1.0.2. I noticed that it is not possible to move the listener to the new Oracle home. No matter what I do, the listener being used is always the listener from the 11G home. That prevents me from using DBUA and I have to use catctl.pl, which is a lot more of manual labour. Has anyone solved that problem? Explicit setting of TNS_ADMIN doesn't help.  I am at a loss.

--

Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant

--