Re: oracle binaries and datafiles

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2018 02:49:38 -0400

While I agree that ASM performance is excellent, from administration point of view, it's a nightmare. I've had several clients that ran out of space by doing DB restore to development because the old "files" weren't overwritten, but the new ones were created. I thought them of a good habit of dropping the database that needs to be refreshed. Other than that, you need asmcmd to copy files to and from disk group, utilities like "tar","df" and "cp" do not work and it's a separate animal that one has to learn.

I am very happy that Oracle is now recommending ACFS for data file storage.  We came back the full circle: we now have a new OCFS, only it's a proprietary version which cannot be used by competitors. I tested ACFS and it actually performs much better than OCFS. I remember having to use special versions of tools like tar and cp, because the normal versions were too slow and couldn't do direct I/O. Nothing like that happens with ACFS.  ACFS can be accessed by all the file system utilities and everything works admirably. Plus, when I restore it, the existing files get overwritten and I don't double the amount of the used space. It can also do snapshots, but there is an additional license fee for that.

Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant