Re: oracle binaries and datafiles

From: Tim Gorman <tim.evdbt_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 14:10:50 -0600

The considerations on UNIX/Linux are not different than on Windows. The propensity for growth of logs and traces in the $ORACLE_HOME are the same for Oracle on both platforms.

On UNIX/Linux the distinction between mount-points is a lot more subtle.  On Windows, you have drive letters.  In UNIX/Linux, you can place a mount-point anywhere at any level of the directory tree. For the sake of sanity, most UNIX/Linux system administrators do not take full advantage of that particular freedom, but every once in a while, you'll see something... surprising.

Anyway, your colleague is giving good advice, for several reasons. One reason I cited earlier, in that file-systems can isolate bad things from happening to each other to some extent, but there are other considerations, such as mounting different types of storage media for each.  Binaries don't need high-performance storage media, but Oracle database datafiles might.  Binaries don't take up much space, but even so you may not want to pay to support them with expensive SSD/Flash if it isn't necessary.  Or maybe you don't care.