Re: Need help configuring ASM on Linux 7

From: Yong Huang <"Yong>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 14:37:21 +0000 (UTC)

Sourav Biswas said:
> "yum update -y" ...
> to my surprise now ASM lib is successfully configured. I checked the 3 rpm
> for ASM, which I mentioned in my earlier email. And they have not updated.

This, plus Dave Herring's earlier message showing Linux kernel version 3.10.0-514.10.2.el7.x86_64 with oracleasmlib-2.0.12-1.el7.x86_64, seems to confirm that the ASMLib version indeed does not need to be up to the same as the Linux kernel version if you're using Oracle Linux.

According to the webpage for "Oracle ASMLib Downloads for Oracle Linux 7" http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/linux/asmlib/ol7-2352094.html "This kernel driver is not version-specific and does not need to be upgraded when the kernel is upgraded."

The webpage for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/linux/asmlib/rhel7-2773795.html does not have that statement.

So it's consistent with the following in Doc ID 799982.1: "The Oracle ASMLIB product has a kernel-specific component, the ASMLIB driver. This is provided in an RPM package which must be updated whenever the Linux kernel is updated... Note that the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel (UEK) has the correct ASMLIB driver built into the kernel distribution and the information in this document is unnecessary."

By the way, we used to be able to compile ASMLib from source. See also http://www.freelists.org/post/oracle-l/udev-VS-oracleasm-disk-aliasing-preferences,9 and I have this in my note on how to compile it: "Download the latest snapshot of asmlib from https://oss.oracle.com/git/gitweb.cgi?p=oracleasm.git;a=summary run autogen.sh, configure, make, make install." But I just checked that webpage. The latest is four and half years ago.

Yong Huang