RE: Thoughts on implicit/auto COMMITs

From: Noveljic Nenad <nenad.noveljic_at_vontobel.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 11:54:29 +0000

The setting is called the read_committed_snapshot which is set to off by default. This means that readers are blocking writers. Some applications might even rely on this behavior.

After setting read_committed_snapshot to on SQL Server will start to behave like Oracle in this respect. Row versions will be stored in the tempdb in such case.

Nenad

http://nenadnoveljic.com/blog/

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Andy Sayer Sent: Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 12:19
To: arian_at_stijf.com
Cc: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on implicit/auto COMMITs

In ye olde regions of SQL Server land, writers block readers. This has spawned many silly workarounds like Commit constantly
If a transaction is open for more than a second it must be killed

I believe there is some setting in more recent versions to prevent this. The workarounds are so blindly followed as best practise that the greener grass is a mystery to some.

Obviously this just doesn’t apply in the sane land of Oracle, writers don’t block readers.

Regards,
Andrew

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 at 09:13, Arian Stijf <arian_at_stijf.com<mailto:arian_at_stijf.com>> wrote: Hi,

in my opinion this breaks the A(tomicity) of ACID. E.g. a transaction consisting of two dependent inserts (Parent/child), and the first insert is commited before the second, then the database crashes.

Regards,

Arian

On 14-Mar-18 16:57, Rich J wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> As a solo DBA responsible for a number of SQL Servers in addition to
> Oracle, I try to read up on both. One of the (more respected) SQL
> Server team blogs had this entry:
>
> https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2018/02/set-implicit_transactions-one-hell-bad-idea/
>
> ..where they advocate the default auto-commit because otherwise the
> row (or page, or table) is locked should someone forget to COMMIT.
>
> This seems like an extraordinarily bad idea for anything but ad-hoc or
> one-off DML (without getting into a sidebar on that particular
> practice), whether Oracle or SQL Server or whatever.
>
> Or is it just me and some old-fashioned narrow RDBMS thinking?
>
> Rich

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail. Bitte denken Sie an die Umwelt, bevor Sie dieses E-Mail drucken.
<head>
</head>