Re: Thoughts on implicit/auto COMMITs

From: Stefan Knecht <knecht.stefan_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:55:16 +0700

I personally think that the blog author's view is a bit narrow, not yours :)

In any environment, saying that disabling auto-commit is a very bad idea is at best a risky statement to make. It assumes that people don't know how to use databases. Perhaps this attitude is more common in the SQL server world, I don't know. When you start a transaction, you need to end that transaction. Having a basic understanding of how transactions works is probably one of the corner stones of being able to call yourself a DBA or a database developer.

I, for one, would never consider enabling auto-commit for any serious database application. It restricts what you can do in many ways. I'd want control over when and how things are committed. What if you want to validate your data before committing? Nope, you can't, it's already done.

I guess it's a different world out there in SQL server land.

What really got me was this: "The blocking eventually clears up on its own when the app randomly issues a COMMIT, typically for unrelated reasons." He must be dealing with some funny applications on his SQL server databases.

I can honestly say I'm glad I never had to deal with it. Always been 100% Oracle. And the more I read about SQL server, the more glad I am that I don't have to deal with this :)

--
//
zztat - The Next-Gen Oracle Performance Monitoring and Reaction Framework!