Thoughts on implicit/auto COMMITs

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:57:22 -0500

Hey all,

As a solo DBA responsible for a number of SQL Servers in addition to Oracle, I try to read up on both. One of the (more respected) SQL Server team blogs had this entry:

https://www.brentozar.com/archive/2018/02/set-implicit_transactions-one-hell-bad-idea/

..where they advocate the default auto-commit because otherwise the row (or page, or table) is locked should someone forget to COMMIT.

This seems like an extraordinarily bad idea for anything but ad-hoc or one-off DML (without getting into a sidebar on that particular practice), whether Oracle or SQL Server or whatever.

Or is it just me and some old-fashioned narrow RDBMS thinking?

Rich