RE: RAC install on Linux

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2018 11:20:36 +0100 (CET)

Hey guys,

_at_Amir

Never ever over-subscribe memory in a VM environment for database server VMs (e.g. memory ballooning). In theory you can over-subscribe memory in the VM itself (e.g. with multiple databases running in it) but this works only in case of "lazy memory allocation" for some specific time - in case of huge pages this does not work as the huge pages pool is a "separate" allocated memory area, cut-off right away and needs to be defined via kernel parameter. Heap memory (e.g. PGA) is a whole different topic.

_at_Ruel:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E37670_01/E37355/html/ol_about_hugepages.html "Huges pages remain pinned in memory and are not replaced, so the kernel swap daemon has no work to do in managing them" - so yes huge pages are locked and can not be swapped. "PRE_PAGE_SGA" is a different topic - Frits Hoogland has written a great blog post about it and what it really means (documentation is not true): https://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/oracle-sga-memory-allocation-on-startup/

Huge pages can be used with manual memory management or ASMM but not with AMM (different implementation).

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK