Re: RAC install on Linux

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 11:20:59 +0100 (CET)

Hello Neil,

> You also have contiguous memory allocation and it can’t be swapped.

Hugepages can also be non-contiguous aka. fragmented - called external fragmentation (https://lwn.net/Articles/376606/). AFAIK this is also the reason why Oracle has implemented enhancement request #14500387 and you get an "ORA-27107: AUTO value for USE_LARGE_PAGES parameter is no longer supported" (https://docs.oracle.com/database/121/ERRMG/ORA-24280.htm#GUID-7B2814DB-F946-4EB1-80B5-219B256E90C0__GUID-E1254AED-AB39-4D52-97E2-5D6011E161E7) nowadays for dynamic huge pages allocation via oradism.

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Independent Oracle performance consultant and researcher Website: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK