RE: ***UNCHECKED*** Aparently Oracle forms 6i client server, will notwork with 12.2, the last is 12.1.0.2

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 18:17:54 -0500

That is a useful workaround.

IF you need that workaround only sporadically, you might want to configure a designated listener that you only bring up as needed to accommodate the outdated application.

Being forms, this might be a whole application that is still being used.

There is a reason that sqlnet support for older reasons was deprecated and by default removed and it has to do with security of older versions of the protocol.

Very likely your older (12.1.0.2) listener configuration enabled access from older clients and that custom config wasn’t brought forward when 12.2 was installed. Of something like that.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of John Thomas Sent: Monday, January 29, 2018 3:00 PM
To: tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com
Cc: jcdrpllist_at_gmail.com; ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: ***UNCHECKED*** Aparently Oracle forms 6i client server, will notwork with 12.2, the last is 12.1.0.2

I think I can confirm that's the answer. This explains the setting to use:

12c Database Alert.log File Shows The Message: Using Deprecated SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION Parameter (Doc ID 2111876.1)

Regards,

JT

On Mon, 29 Jan 2018 at 14:51 TJ Kiernan <tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com> wrote:

I ran into something similar, albeit not with Forms, just with older clients (10.2 and earlier). It could be worth a shot. The solution we found was to add the following to sqlnet.ora on the db server.

SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION=8   Now our alert log gets spammed about a deprecated parameter, as there’s now a parameter that specifies client –

SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION_CLIENT=8

  • but we found that the deprecated parameter would allow the clients to connect. IIRC, this has to do with the algorithm that is used to hash/encrypt the password. 12.2 is fairly restrictive by default.

image001.jpg

T. J. Kiernan

Lead Database Administrator
National Pharmaceutical Services
P.O. Box 407 Boys Town, NE 68010
Direct: (402) 965-8800 extn. 1039
Toll Free: (800) 546-5677 extn. 1039

E-Mail: <mailto:tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com> tkiernan_at_pti-nps.com

The information contained in this message is privileged and confidential information intended only for the use of the individual or entity identified above. If the receiver of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, use or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender by replying to his/her e-mail address noted above and delete the original message, including any attachments. Thank you.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Juan Carlos Reyes Pacheco Sent: Friday, January 26, 2018 12:03 PM
To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: ***UNCHECKED*** Aparently Oracle forms 6i client server, will notwork with 12.2, the last is 12.1.0.2

Hello,

Aparently Oracle forms 6i, will not work with 12.2, the last is 12.1.0.2

In oracle 12c didn't work reports, but someone found a dll an replacing it he got to work, but now is different, client oracle 8 is not supported and there is no way to patch it.

ORA-3137 [kpoal8Check-5] From Incompatible Client Version Connecting To 12.2 Database (Doc ID 2296523.1)

Solution

Unlike previous version, Oracle has added some strict checks on RDBMS 12.2.0.1 and client apps must comply with these checks.

In order to resolve this, upgrade client version to compatible level.

--

Regards,

John

image001.jpg