Re: Non-technical query about patching databases

From: MacGregor, Ian A. <ian_at_slac.stanford.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 16:31:42 +0000

I patch 86 databases each quarter. The patching is spread over a few weeks. If you have nit already done so, write scripts to perform the patching.

Ian A. MacGregor
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory
Computing Division

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Steve Bradshaw <sjb1970_at_gmail.com> Sent: Monday, January 22, 2018 12:30:21 AM To: Hemant K Chitale
Cc: ORACLE-L
Subject: Re: Non-technical query about patching databases

Thank you for the replies, its appreciated.

There are currently 2.4 of us, and we also look after middleware for a couple of applications. Its mostly vendor supplied, but we have a couple of in-house developed systems too. We provide some day to day support for developers too, and are struggling to keep everything patched up to date.

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 7:15 AM, Hemant K Chitale <hemantkchitale_at_gmail.com<mailto:hemantkchitale_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Within the same organisation you may have some databases (yes Production databases) that need no attention for months and years while other databases may be raising alerts / requests more than once a day.

Some test databases may be critical and undergo selective-data or full data refreshes once or more a week, others may not require refreshes for months. Some Test and Development databases need daily backups and ability do PITR, others can do with weekly backups.

I dislike a "N databases per DBA" rule. Managers one level above, unfortunately, in many cases look at "$ spend" as the immediate DBA manager doesn't provide them enough metrics to justify the DBA headcount. Number of service tickets may be a proxy (but some service tickets are serviced in a minute, others take days to execute).

Hemant K Chitale

Hemant K Chitale

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 7:29 PM, Steve Bradshaw <sjb1970_at_gmail.com<mailto:sjb1970_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Hi,

I hope nobody minds me asking a non-technical question.

If you had approximately 50 databases, mix of live, test, development, no dataguard or RAC, what sort of staffing level would you expect to have in order to keep them patched to the latest PSU?

Thanks, Steve