Re: ASM Filter Driver Performance

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 11:45:44 +0000

Hi Jared

The AWR reports look a little odd to me. I'd expect a SLOB Update test to result in write I/O as well as read I/O. For comparison here's an output from a 25% update run I did recently.

Load Profile                    Per Second   Per Transaction  Per Exec  Per
Call
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~            ---------------   --------------- ---------
---------
             DB Time(s):              15.9               0.4      0.10
4.98
              DB CPU(s):               1.8               0.1      0.01
0.57
      Background CPU(s):               0.6               0.0      0.00
0.00
      Redo size (bytes):       8,739,600.1         218,657.4
  Logical read (blocks):          41,982.9           1,050.4
          Block changes:          20,930.0             523.7
 Physical read (blocks):          38,938.4             974.2
Physical write (blocks):          10,708.4             267.9
       Read IO requests:          38,938.3             974.2
      Write IO requests:           9,099.6             227.7
           Read IO (MB):             304.2               7.6
          Write IO (MB):              83.7               2.1

So far as I can tell there's no write activity in your AWR reports. I'd further suggest that a useful metric since you are looking at I/O performance, would be SLOBOps/sec/vCPU - or else duration of a fixed run.

That all said, I see you are using the current (or at least a recent) version of slob, whereas I'm still using one from 2014 (not yet validated comparability of results from the newer kit).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA