RE: Database patching for Peoplesoft applications

From: Givens, Steven <sgivens_at_fnni.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 20:03:46 +0000

We have been shutting down app and web tiers whenever doing maintenance on the database or database servers. But your question made me wonder as to the specifics as to why we have been since it was just something the app team has always asked for. Here is the response from our PS Admin:

"Short Answer: Best Practices.

Long Answer: Appliciation Server processes can get hung. Although they have a recycle time, my experience has been that errant processes can cuase Abends.

	The Batch Server runs scheduled jobs and when interrupted in the middle of a job it goes to Error.  Sometimes, its gets stuck in "Processing" state.  This problem has 2 ramifications.  We only allow 8 jobs to run in parallel, so we're now reduced to 7.   Also, it commonly locks up all future jobs of the same type.  For Example, nVison reports or PeopleSoft Query.   To resolve, this problem we have to delete INSTANCE ID /PROCESS ID records from 5 tables.
	They mentioned Integration Broker, we don't really have the Integration Broker working directly with the database.   Either the Application Server or Batch Server makes the calls directly with Active Directory.
	My other comment, it gives me an excuse to clear the Cache on web, app and batch which improves performance and its necessary for some Code changes."

Thanks,

Steve Givens
Lead Database Administrator
First National Bank