Re: Maintaining scripts across multiple DBMS or DBMS versions

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2018 16:03:02 +0000

Stephane, I am curious as to why you rejected m4?

I’ve used m4 a few times to enhance a language’s capability, and found it quite useful.

Jared

On Sat, Jan 13, 2018 at 4:27 AM Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com> wrote:

> Hi listers,
>
> I don't know if it interests anybody, but I had a need for trying to
> maintain a single schema creation script from which I wanted to extract
> simplified versions, and I also wanted to be able to run my script on
> several different DBMS. I needed something like conditional compilation
> with C, and I have written a small tool that does this kind of
> processing. It can probably be also useful for maintaining at one place
> scripts that can run on several versions of the same DBMS (a friend of
> mine does it with defines in SQL*Plus, but it only works on Oracle).
> Perhaps somebody other than me will use it:
>
> https://github.com/sfaroult/sqlpp
>
> Uses getopt (and includes unistd.h), you must find it elsewhere if you
> want to compile the program on Windows and you aren't using Cygwin.
>
> HTH
>
> S Faroult

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Github: https://github.com/jkstill