Re: Non-technical query about patching databases

From: Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2018 12:41:47 -0800

I would say at least 2 case you want to take vacation. 3 is better so you don't have to juggle time off between you two. We have 2.5 DBA's for about 50+ Oralce/SQL databases. The .5 is mainly there in case the two of us are gone and can provide basic support and is trustworthy to where he is not going to do something he shouldn't or doesn't know. It also depends on projects you working. We are DBA's then end up doing a lot of pl/sql development for systems and reports (something any other sql developer could do), so therefore sometimes not enough "DBA" stuff. It also depends on how many application developers you have and how needy they are. We have 17 and they are pretty needy as we develop almost all our own software and constantly having new code go to production. They key is to automate as much as you can.