Re: External table performance

From: Sanjay Mishra <"Sanjay>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 06:00:05 +0000 (UTC)

 Thanks All and indeed got lot of good points and references from Mark, Kim, Niall, Mladen and Kellyn and ofcourse also has to check Tanel slides.I created the MV which gives back lots of good time to the queries and creating one main index met the business SLA requirements. I still will have to check all suggestion for future reference.

In addition, as this environment is moving to Exadata and so not sure if the Exadata will be high performance or high capacity but due to high usage of the External table data, I will also test INMEMORY or FLASH CACHE to see if this can provide some more help. Thanks Again to all for your experience and suggestions Sanjay

    On Sunday, January 14, 2018, 2:15:04 PM EST, Tanel Poder <tanel_at_tanelpoder.com> wrote:

 Thanks Mark for mentioning my presentation. It was actually the first one in my "troubleshooting the most complex performance issues I've ever seen" series and the slides are still available here: https://www.slideshare.net/tanelp/tanel-poder-troubleshooting-complex-oracle-performance-issues-part-1

I think I have done 4 such presentations over time (most should be available in Slideshare). Maybe it's time to re-deliver these online - they're lots of fun! ;-) Thanks,Tanel Poderhttps://blog.tanelpoder.com On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 7:23 AM, Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com> wrote:

Roger that. This was a problem that database file systems will eventually solve with an implicit index on file name.

Tanel wrote  up a classic performance track down at Hotsos several years ago where no waits were traceable to the Oracle engine and he had to get all the way down to “find the file” in subroutines before the problem became apparent.